Skip to main content

Travel Journal: Cuenca, Day 9

     Today's post should be short and sweet. I slept in and stayed home all day. It was good. I needed a "pause" day before this weekend hit. Tomorrow we'll spend the day delivering Christmas goodie bags and presents to kids in Suscal, and then I'm teaching at youth group tomorrow night. (Please pray that I get completely out of the way and there is at least a seed planted in each heart - something that's tucked away to spring up later, or is held tightly now for encouragement.)

Quick photo timeline of my Friday:

I decided how I want to cut my hair when I get home.

I worked on the painting I brought with me.


We watched A Charlie Brown Christmas with the kids.


In between those things there was some lounging around, some message prep, some making PB&J, some more lounging around, and then some homemade spaghetti and garlic bread for dinner. After the kids went to bed (we have to leave the house at 6:30 am tomorrow morning...) we watched another movie. A really cute family movie, so I'm all nostalgic and stuff now. 

     I had a great talk with Jeremy and Tiffany earlier this evening. It's going to be really hard to leave on Thursday. 

     I don't have a lot to say tonight because my head is a swirl of thoughts right now. I haven't thought through enough of them to be able to condense and share yet. I've talked and worried and prayed and written a lot this week about family and future and purpose and calling. I'm just extremely grateful for the confidence that God has me exactly where he wants me. If he wanted me somewhere else, I'd be there instead of here. I do a lot of dreaming about that mysterious season in the future where I'll be operating in my calling and confident in what I'm purposed to do and who I'm placed next to so that I can open up the heart floodgates without restraint. But I'm in this season right now for a good reason. A God reason. And I do believe that my Father is working me toward a fuller manifestation of himself in my life, so this part of the journey is obviously important, or else we would've skipped over it and I'd be "on my way" by now. 

I know that in my lifelong walk with God, there will never be a moment where I feel like I've "made it." I'm glad there will always be room to grow and learn. I am thankful for this time of putting down stronger roots and building up a sturdier foundation. And I am so thankful that my Papa does have something specific in store for me. He knows precisely how to get me there, and he has promised to do so! I'm blinking through tears right now, overwhelmed at the blessing that he calls my beautiful inheritance. I have no idea what that future territory looks like, but I know whose hand I'll be holding through the whole ordeal and I know whose voice will be leading me into deeper peace and more abundant joy. 

"The heart set to do the Father's will need never fear defeat. His promises of guidance may be fully counted upon. Does it make sense to believe that the Shepherd would care less about getting His sheep where He wants them to go than they care about getting there?"
- Elisabeth Elliot
     
"He calls his own sheep by name and leads them out. When he has brought out all of his own, he goes on ahead of them, and his sheep follow him because they know his voice...
I am the good shepherd; I know my sheep and my sheep know me."
- John 10 

"Can a mother forget the baby at her breast and have no compassion on the child she has borne? Though she may forget, I will not forget you! See, I have engraved you on the palms of my hands..."
- Isaiah 49


Buenas noches. Dios te bendiga.
Mucho amor de Cuenca.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Travel Journal: Cuenca, Day 12

Travel Journal: Cuenca, Day 4

     While I was trying to transfer my writing from my phone to the website, I accidentally erased half of it. So bear with me if these first few paragraphs seem terse and vague. I'm annoyed. I was going to try and keep this post short so I could go to bed at a decent hour, but let's be real... I always find something to think about and keep myself awake.       After breakfast I walked with Tiffany and the kiddos down the street to the market. We bought armfuls of produce for the week for about $13, and Kase got a brachiosaurus made out of corn husks so obviously that was the highlight of the morning. Then the whole fam rode downtown to jump in Miguel's car and head to where the church was celebrating baptisms today. We drove there Ecuadorian-style, meaning we fit 7 people in a 5 person car and I ended up on Tiffany's lap. Nobody got hurt and nobody got pulled over so I'd call it a successful trip. Quite efficient. We watched a bunch of people profess their fai

Travel Journal: Cuenca, Day 7

Okay here we go! More catching up to do! I have lots of pictures, so hopefully it'll keep things interesting. WEDNESDAY (Day 7)      Tiffany made pancakes for breakfast with cinnamon, nutmeg, and vanilla... SO good. Jeremy told us about the sermon series he's been working on. I think it's called "Waiting Room." While I was rinsing dishes, he asked if I'd ever been through a period of waiting on God, and what that was like. I laughed and said I've been in that kind of period since last summer began. It's a long story, but while I was on my mission trip to Ecuador in June, Jeremy prayed over me after I shared with him how direction-less I felt. I had finally decided on a major but had no idea what I was going to do with it. I felt like everything I was going through was a kind of preparation, but I had no idea for what. I told God I wanted to do what he wanted, and I didn't feel like I was receiving any guidance. Each of those things has int