Skip to main content

Travel Journal: Cuenca, Day 1

(I've been using a countdown app since day 120. Finally seeing this was pretty surreal.)

The whole travel process felt like a whirlwind of:
"How far away is my gate?" 
"Why is this the noisiest suitcase in existence?" 
"Who told me I was old enough to travel without supervision?"  
For the record, I navigated all the American and Ecuadorian airport connections and bag retrievals surprisingly successfully. The only hiccup was a stop at a security check because I forgot to drink all my water. (Sorry, Mom.)

(Waiting alone for the last flight in a nearly empty terminal. One of the many "This is wild, I can't actually be doing this by myself" moments I've gone through over the last 32 hours or so.)

     As my first full day in Cuenca winds down, I might have to call it the longest day in existence. Though I slept for a rough total of 3.5 to 4 hours during my overnight travel, the longest stretch was 2 hours at a time. (This is coming from a girl who needs at least 7.5 to feel rested.) But the highlight of all the red eye nonsense was definitely my flight to Quito. I've never flown in the middle of the night before, and when I looked out the window I was stunned. The night sky was crystal clear and I saw stars, but not the kind that just hint at a twinkle high above you and keep their distance. This looked like a wall of stars sparkling directly at eye level, spread as far as my vision could reach. It was one of the most breathtakingly beautiful sights I've ever had the privilege of witnessing.
   
     When I was woken up by my airplane seat jolting back to its original position at 4 am (compliments of my considerate neighbor), I was pretty sure that this first day of Ecuador would be executed in a grumpy sort of fog.

(Good morning Quito! First glimpse of the mountains again.)

But luckily, when I was jolted awake again by the sound of landing gear during my next flight/catnap, I was so excited to see the hills and rooftops of Cuenca that the bubbly enthusiasm returned in full force and I practically skipped off of the plane to relish the perfect December weather of the Amazon basin.

(Landing in Cuenca!)

     All I could say during the first few hours of being here was, "This still doesn't feel real." I'm not sure it does even now. I've been made to feel so at home that it's hard to believe I'm halfway across the world from normal Florida life (and it's only been one day). Two weeks sounds like such a long time. I'm thrilled at the prospect of having the freedom to join in family/community activities and also to be independent. The Riggs helped me get a bus pass, a phone chip, and a set of keys today. I can't express in words how thankful I am for their loving hospitality. As a side note, please join me in praying that I will be miraculously gifted with a brilliant sense of direction. I am getting the feeling that learning how to take the bus will be my greatest personal struggle on this trip...

(I was introduced to the broken bridge today and the riverside is my new favorite spot.)

     I wanted to go through with this visit to Ecuador because, in this season, I have been learning what it means for life to be just me and God. In the end, that's what it really comes down to. Making travel arrangements and payments, traipsing through crowded airports and then desolate airports, having interactions in my almost conversational second language -- all these things are things that make me uncomfortable. Things that are second nature to some, but they teach me poco a poco how to lean on Jesus when anxiety sits heavily in my stomach or my crazy imagination starts running away with me.
   
I have been asking God to make me constantly mindful of his presence. When I was waiting, I was talking to him. When I was worried, I was asking him for peace and provision. When I was drinking in the beautiful stars, I was blinking back tears and thanking him. And when I was laying my heart out before him, he was supporting me. 

I will give thanks to your name for your unfailing love and faithfulness,
because your promises are backed by all the honor of your name.
When I pray, you answer me;
you encourage me by giving me the strength I need.

The Lord will work out his plans for my life -- 
for your faithful love, O Lord, endures forever.
(See Psalm 138)

   
(My current situation, after watching a movie with the kiddos and tucking them into bed.)

     My cheeks are pink from walking all over the city and soaking up the sunshine. I ate two helados rosados because I learned that they are delicious. I tried guatita at the cafe, which is cow stomach lining doubling as a lunch delicacy. I learned that it is not delicious. But I tried it. I curled up on the couch and drifted off during a movie for some much needed rest. And I have days ahead of me to breathe, encounter the Lord, deepen Kingdom relationships, and eat ice cream.

Buenas noches, Dios te bendiga.
Mucho amor de Cuenca.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Travel Journal: Cuenca, Day 12

Travel Journal: Cuenca, Day 4

     While I was trying to transfer my writing from my phone to the website, I accidentally erased half of it. So bear with me if these first few paragraphs seem terse and vague. I'm annoyed. I was going to try and keep this post short so I could go to bed at a decent hour, but let's be real... I always find something to think about and keep myself awake.       After breakfast I walked with Tiffany and the kiddos down the street to the market. We bought armfuls of produce for the week for about $13, and Kase got a brachiosaurus made out of corn husks so obviously that was the highlight of the morning. Then the whole fam rode downtown to jump in Miguel's car and head to where the church was celebrating baptisms today. We drove there Ecuadorian-style, meaning we fit 7 people in a 5 person car and I ended up on Tiffany's lap. Nobody got hurt and nobody got pulled over so I'd call it a successful trip. Quite efficient. We watched a bunch of people profess their fai

Travel Journal: Cuenca, Day 7

Okay here we go! More catching up to do! I have lots of pictures, so hopefully it'll keep things interesting. WEDNESDAY (Day 7)      Tiffany made pancakes for breakfast with cinnamon, nutmeg, and vanilla... SO good. Jeremy told us about the sermon series he's been working on. I think it's called "Waiting Room." While I was rinsing dishes, he asked if I'd ever been through a period of waiting on God, and what that was like. I laughed and said I've been in that kind of period since last summer began. It's a long story, but while I was on my mission trip to Ecuador in June, Jeremy prayed over me after I shared with him how direction-less I felt. I had finally decided on a major but had no idea what I was going to do with it. I felt like everything I was going through was a kind of preparation, but I had no idea for what. I told God I wanted to do what he wanted, and I didn't feel like I was receiving any guidance. Each of those things has int