Skip to main content

whole heartedly

JEREMIAH 29:12
"You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart." 

What does seeking the Lord with my whole heart look like? What does it mean to give my life to honor Him in all I do? How extreme do I have to be? The world of possibilities outside my tiny comfort zone is a terrifying place, let's be real. But what's more important - God's glory or my potential embarrassing failure?

My greatest struggle is always deciding how much I'm going to trust God. Do I believe that He wants to make Himself known to me enough to read His word every day? Do I trust that He knows what's best for me enough to joyfully obey Him? Do I believe that He loves me enough to stop seeking satisfaction in other places?

Jeremiah 29:12 brings all of this^ up in me every time I dwell on its challenge. It is precisely the push that has been causing friction in my heart lately. I get so achy with compassion when I see a person acknowledging Jesus as Lord with their mouth and not with their life. (I tried dancing around the issue several different times as I was planning this post, but grace without truth is powerless and vice versa.) I say compassion because THAT WAS ME just a short time ago. And may I speak from experience? Christianity is certainly not a cake walk, but life is better on the side of surrender. I have just two short, strongly worded points and then I'm done:  

1. If you're saying you believe in Jesus to cover your bases and fulfill your perceived requirements...it's not enough. I sound harsh but come on, it's not like you're hiding anything from the Orderer of the universe. He knows your heart better than you do! And He loves you FAR too much to let you be content with less than the abundantly full life He desires to give you. If you're not willing to start by welcoming Jesus onto the throne of your heart, then you haven't had an accurate glimpse of what this whole salvation deal is really about. Whether or not you actually believe this yet, having Jesus in your life is worth more than your earthly security, more than your comfortable and profitable routines, and more than the prideful fight for self-sufficiency. BE HONEST. IT IS WORTH IT. Have the courage to dig deep and lay all your cards on the table before Him. Ask Him to soften your heart and help you understand. No one ever found gold by keeping their hands clean outside the mine. 

1 Samuel 16:7 "People look at the outward appearance, but the Lord looks at the heart." 

2. If you're praying to God for peace, wisdom, etc. but continuing to live in direct opposition to His will for your life, how do you think anything will be fixed? Our omnipotent God is capable of changing someone's circumstance at any second, of course. But His plans are about more than your personal agenda. As you're praying to the God of peace, remember that you're also praying to the God of sovereignty. He desires RELATIONSHIP with you, not just 911 prayers! Sometimes the Lord captivates a person's heart so unexpectedly, and sometimes He's waiting for you to make the next move. It's not about striving to proving yourself, it's about making every effort for Him because you WANT to show Him that you're serious. Please please please trust me when I say that the things you're scared He'll make you give up are NOTHING compared to the experience of knowing you are drawing nearer to your Father. The decision to trust Jesus is the single most importance choice of your life. Don't avoid the Author of love because you are more worried about your personal image or relationship status. What He has planned for your life is INFINITELY BETTER than anything you could ever imagine. 

In Luke 11:28 JESUS says, "Even more blessed are those who hear the word of God and put it into practice!"

I know. That's a lot. And it's scary. Being uncomfortable is not pleasant but it is FRUITFUL, because it is there in the uncomfortable places that we grow and experience more life. I can't even begin to tell you how much I'm preaching to the choir with this post...just know that the truest sentence of my life is that I'm only alive because of my God's grace. (Grace. Definitely my next topic. Did I mention that it saved my life?) He loves you so so much. Get close enough to hear Him tell you Himself. You will never be the same!!

John 10:10 "I have come that they might have life, and have it to the full."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Choose This Day

“Now therefore fear the  Lord  and serve him in sincerity and in faithfulness.  Put away the gods that your fathers served beyond the River and in Egypt, and serve the  Lord .  And if it is evil in your eyes to serve the  Lord ,  choose this day whom you will serve , whether  the gods your fathers served in the region beyond the River, or  the gods of the Amorites in whose land you dwell.  But as for me and my house, we will serve the  Lord .” Joshua 24:14-15 (ESV) "Choose." If we're living in the reality of the Kingdom of God, I don't think there's any way to over-spiritualize. That phrase gets on my nerves like nothing else. I think we use it as a cop out, a way to sidestep the responsibility of living like the Kingdom has invaded every nook and cranny of our existence. Every choice is an opportunity to feed my flesh or feed my spirit. Every choice is a challenge - am I going to lean on my own understanding, or listen clos...

March 4, 2020

Tonight while Nick and I were having good conversation over dinner, he asked when I last read my Bible. I said, "Not that long ago," to which he replied, "Was it before the weekend?" and I had to say, "Yes." He likened it to fasting for five days, which he rightly pointed out that I've never done in the natural, so why would I deprive myself like that in the spiritual? The conversation stirred up some old confusion and hurt regarding my difficulty with staying engaged with Scripture, but it also stirred up an old hunger to know the voice of God - to be steeped in the history of his speech, to be enraptured by description of who he is and rejoice with the authors of the Bible about his goodness. To know how he talks, to hear it inside my head as I read and become more and more familiar with the cadence of his conversation. I remembered being a freshman in college, newly exposed to the Pentecostal tradition and desperate to hear the voice o...

Travel Journal: Cuenca, Day 13

I don't know if anyone will see this... Just trying to get my thoughts out now while everything is fresh in my mind. I'll probably post this one after I edit later. Today went by so fast. The last few days (I haven't written about yet) have been a whirlwind and I've had such wonderful evenings, loving the atmosphere and the blessing of being part of the group. And yet, since last night at Turi, I haven't been able to shake the feeling that these aren't my people. Maybe it's because I'm leaving in a matter of hours, really. Or maybe it's something that God's been settling in my spirit. I talked with Gina for almost three hours over a Facebook video call, and we talked about everything under the sun. (Ecuadorian dairy products, what's going on at CC, summer plans for my internship, hanging out with the crew, going to Passion soon, and hard stuff that needs worked through and prayed through.) Every day I'm more ready to go home. It's...