Skip to main content

whole heartedly

JEREMIAH 29:12
"You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart." 

What does seeking the Lord with my whole heart look like? What does it mean to give my life to honor Him in all I do? How extreme do I have to be? The world of possibilities outside my tiny comfort zone is a terrifying place, let's be real. But what's more important - God's glory or my potential embarrassing failure?

My greatest struggle is always deciding how much I'm going to trust God. Do I believe that He wants to make Himself known to me enough to read His word every day? Do I trust that He knows what's best for me enough to joyfully obey Him? Do I believe that He loves me enough to stop seeking satisfaction in other places?

Jeremiah 29:12 brings all of this^ up in me every time I dwell on its challenge. It is precisely the push that has been causing friction in my heart lately. I get so achy with compassion when I see a person acknowledging Jesus as Lord with their mouth and not with their life. (I tried dancing around the issue several different times as I was planning this post, but grace without truth is powerless and vice versa.) I say compassion because THAT WAS ME just a short time ago. And may I speak from experience? Christianity is certainly not a cake walk, but life is better on the side of surrender. I have just two short, strongly worded points and then I'm done:  

1. If you're saying you believe in Jesus to cover your bases and fulfill your perceived requirements...it's not enough. I sound harsh but come on, it's not like you're hiding anything from the Orderer of the universe. He knows your heart better than you do! And He loves you FAR too much to let you be content with less than the abundantly full life He desires to give you. If you're not willing to start by welcoming Jesus onto the throne of your heart, then you haven't had an accurate glimpse of what this whole salvation deal is really about. Whether or not you actually believe this yet, having Jesus in your life is worth more than your earthly security, more than your comfortable and profitable routines, and more than the prideful fight for self-sufficiency. BE HONEST. IT IS WORTH IT. Have the courage to dig deep and lay all your cards on the table before Him. Ask Him to soften your heart and help you understand. No one ever found gold by keeping their hands clean outside the mine. 

1 Samuel 16:7 "People look at the outward appearance, but the Lord looks at the heart." 

2. If you're praying to God for peace, wisdom, etc. but continuing to live in direct opposition to His will for your life, how do you think anything will be fixed? Our omnipotent God is capable of changing someone's circumstance at any second, of course. But His plans are about more than your personal agenda. As you're praying to the God of peace, remember that you're also praying to the God of sovereignty. He desires RELATIONSHIP with you, not just 911 prayers! Sometimes the Lord captivates a person's heart so unexpectedly, and sometimes He's waiting for you to make the next move. It's not about striving to proving yourself, it's about making every effort for Him because you WANT to show Him that you're serious. Please please please trust me when I say that the things you're scared He'll make you give up are NOTHING compared to the experience of knowing you are drawing nearer to your Father. The decision to trust Jesus is the single most importance choice of your life. Don't avoid the Author of love because you are more worried about your personal image or relationship status. What He has planned for your life is INFINITELY BETTER than anything you could ever imagine. 

In Luke 11:28 JESUS says, "Even more blessed are those who hear the word of God and put it into practice!"

I know. That's a lot. And it's scary. Being uncomfortable is not pleasant but it is FRUITFUL, because it is there in the uncomfortable places that we grow and experience more life. I can't even begin to tell you how much I'm preaching to the choir with this post...just know that the truest sentence of my life is that I'm only alive because of my God's grace. (Grace. Definitely my next topic. Did I mention that it saved my life?) He loves you so so much. Get close enough to hear Him tell you Himself. You will never be the same!!

John 10:10 "I have come that they might have life, and have it to the full."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Travel Journal: Cuenca, Day 12

Travel Journal: Cuenca, Day 4

     While I was trying to transfer my writing from my phone to the website, I accidentally erased half of it. So bear with me if these first few paragraphs seem terse and vague. I'm annoyed. I was going to try and keep this post short so I could go to bed at a decent hour, but let's be real... I always find something to think about and keep myself awake.       After breakfast I walked with Tiffany and the kiddos down the street to the market. We bought armfuls of produce for the week for about $13, and Kase got a brachiosaurus made out of corn husks so obviously that was the highlight of the morning. Then the whole fam rode downtown to jump in Miguel's car and head to where the church was celebrating baptisms today. We drove there Ecuadorian-style, meaning we fit 7 people in a 5 person car and I ended up on Tiffany's lap. Nobody got hurt and nobody got pulled over so I'd call it a successful trip. Quite efficient. We watched a bunch of people profess their fai

Travel Journal: Cuenca, Day 7

Okay here we go! More catching up to do! I have lots of pictures, so hopefully it'll keep things interesting. WEDNESDAY (Day 7)      Tiffany made pancakes for breakfast with cinnamon, nutmeg, and vanilla... SO good. Jeremy told us about the sermon series he's been working on. I think it's called "Waiting Room." While I was rinsing dishes, he asked if I'd ever been through a period of waiting on God, and what that was like. I laughed and said I've been in that kind of period since last summer began. It's a long story, but while I was on my mission trip to Ecuador in June, Jeremy prayed over me after I shared with him how direction-less I felt. I had finally decided on a major but had no idea what I was going to do with it. I felt like everything I was going through was a kind of preparation, but I had no idea for what. I told God I wanted to do what he wanted, and I didn't feel like I was receiving any guidance. Each of those things has int