Skip to main content

Travel Journal: Cuenca, Day 2

     Apparently my body needed more rest than I thought it did, because I didn't get up until after 9 today. And even though we did less throughout the day, I seem more tired than yesterday. Probably not caught up yet, but I'll be on my way if this post doesn't take too long!

(The morning view.)

This morning I reached for My Utmost for His Highest to do my devotional and accidentally read the wrong page. It must have been a Holy Spirit thing, because the November 11 message hit home real quick:

"The sacrifice is gone through in will before it is performed actually.

When God spoke, He did not confer with flesh and blood, i.e., your own sympathies, your own insight, anything that is not based on your personal relationship to God. These are the things that compete with and hinder obedience to God.

If God has made your cup sweet, drink it with grace; if He has made it bitter, drink it in communion with Him.

...in the crucible you learn to know God better. God is working for His highest ends until His purpose and man's purpose become one."

     God's ways don't always look practical. His guidance doesn't always seem rational. But his thoughts are higher than our thoughts, and his character can be trusted. His affection for us can be relied upon, for he is the same yesterday, today, and forever. He does not wipe out pain if it can be used to better our lives in the long run. He values the eternal good over the temporary affliction. "Even when it hurts..." he has already shown himself to be worthy of our confidence and our dependence. 

I don't want to make decisions solely on common sense. I want to sit at the feet of my Lord, open my hands, and trust that he wants to guide me. If the truest desire of my heart is to know him and do his will, he will be faithful in leading me further down that very path, closer to himself. It is my job to quiet my heart, keep my mind set on what is most important, and be willing to take the next step that is asked of me. It is my joy and privilege to wait on the word of the Lord, and walk in his ways. 

     As soon as I was up and ready for the day, I was out the door. I went into the tv station with Jeremy today, sat in on the team devotional, and caught up with people I met over the summer. It is one of the coolest feelings, walking into a place that just a few months ago was completely unknown to you -- a random building in a random city in a country that you didn't think you would be in again -- and greeting friends like you've known each other for years. Relationships are precious and priceless, folks. I am extremely blessed to have met the wonderful people that I did, in order to even have the opportunity to come back and have a place to return to. 


(A message on anxiety at La Universidad de Cuenca.)

     After lunch with the church leadership team (where I had the best BBQ bacon cheeseburger of my life), I went with Gaby, Nino, and Javi to the university where Bobby was teaching this afternoon. The events and activities that I'm attending are of course very nice, but my favorite things about Cuenca are all in all the little details. For example, Nino, Javi, and I just ran out and hopped in Gaby's car while she was stopped in traffic, and we took off for the university together. After the teaching was over, we sat and enjoyed cappuccinos. 

(We were listening, I promise!)

(On our way to grab a bite. If I get jugo de coco, I am one happy girl.)

     We walked quite a while to get the best salchipapas for dinner. Which, in my opinion, must be eaten with ketchup and mayo. Then it was straight back to church for the first night of the MPF conference. There are some things that feel the same no matter where you are, and being right in the middle of the hustle and bustle before service felt 100% normal to me.

Worship was incredible tonight. Ecuadorians are known for taking their time with everything, and I love that worshipping together is no exception. There is no rush to move to the next item of service. There is no hurry to shift focus from the presence of God. There is plenty of time to sing that chorus again, or keep the music going and raise our voices in spontaneous songs and prayers. There is plenty of time to tell Jesus how you adore him, and there is plenty of time to "tarry in his presence" and listen for how he's wanting to get your attention. We sang "Creo en Ti" and I learned a new song called "Tengo Hambre de Ti." I'm still processing some things that God reminded me of and some things that he has laid on my heart. Some details need to be treasured and pondered before they are shared. (Forgive me for being so vague, but I did want to write about it briefly so I'm held to the fact that it actually happened.) 

Be encouraged, friends. Even as our modern world is embroiled in turmoil and it often looks like the plan of salvation has been completely derailed... God is building his church. His plans are in motion.

As worn out as I am right now, I know I'll be grateful that I took the time to keep track of these moments. I love going to bed so excited about what tomorrow will hold. I love this life I get to live.

"God, thank you for your plan."

Buenas noches. Dios te bendiga.
Mucho amor de Cuenca.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Travel Journal: Cuenca, Day 12

Travel Journal: Cuenca, Day 4

     While I was trying to transfer my writing from my phone to the website, I accidentally erased half of it. So bear with me if these first few paragraphs seem terse and vague. I'm annoyed. I was going to try and keep this post short so I could go to bed at a decent hour, but let's be real... I always find something to think about and keep myself awake.       After breakfast I walked with Tiffany and the kiddos down the street to the market. We bought armfuls of produce for the week for about $13, and Kase got a brachiosaurus made out of corn husks so obviously that was the highlight of the morning. Then the whole fam rode downtown to jump in Miguel's car and head to where the church was celebrating baptisms today. We drove there Ecuadorian-style, meaning we fit 7 people in a 5 person car and I ended up on Tiffany's lap. Nobody got hurt and nobody got pulled over so I'd call it a successful trip. Quite efficient. We watched a bunch of people profess their fai

Travel Journal: Cuenca, Day 7

Okay here we go! More catching up to do! I have lots of pictures, so hopefully it'll keep things interesting. WEDNESDAY (Day 7)      Tiffany made pancakes for breakfast with cinnamon, nutmeg, and vanilla... SO good. Jeremy told us about the sermon series he's been working on. I think it's called "Waiting Room." While I was rinsing dishes, he asked if I'd ever been through a period of waiting on God, and what that was like. I laughed and said I've been in that kind of period since last summer began. It's a long story, but while I was on my mission trip to Ecuador in June, Jeremy prayed over me after I shared with him how direction-less I felt. I had finally decided on a major but had no idea what I was going to do with it. I felt like everything I was going through was a kind of preparation, but I had no idea for what. I told God I wanted to do what he wanted, and I didn't feel like I was receiving any guidance. Each of those things has int