Skip to main content

March 4, 2020


Tonight while Nick and I were having good conversation over dinner, he asked when I last read my Bible. I said, "Not that long ago," to which he replied, "Was it before the weekend?" and I had to say, "Yes." He likened it to fasting for five days, which he rightly pointed out that I've never done in the natural, so why would I deprive myself like that in the spiritual?

The conversation stirred up some old confusion and hurt regarding my difficulty with staying engaged with Scripture, but it also stirred up an old hunger to know the voice of God - to be steeped in the history of his speech, to be enraptured by description of who he is and rejoice with the authors of the Bible about his goodness. To know how he talks, to hear it inside my head as I read and become more and more familiar with the cadence of his conversation.

I remembered being a freshman in college, newly exposed to the Pentecostal tradition and desperate to hear the voice of God for myself. I asked almost all my friends, "How do you know when you've heard the Lord?" And almost always the response was, "When you know, you know." I wanted so badly to know. And later, I wanted so badly to experience the baptism of the Holy Spirit and was so grateful when the gift finally came, that I think I came to lean more heavily on the certainty that Holy Spirit lives inside of me than the certainty that God wants to speak to me through his Word. How poignant does it seem now, that God gifted me with baptism in the Spirit while my Bible was open to Romans 8, as I was reading and meditating on and believing the truth of the Word I held in my hands... "For we do not know how to pray as we ought, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us with groanings too deep for words."

As Nick graciously challenged me to know God more in the Word, almost immediately "Ephesians" dropped into my head. When you know, you know. So I opened my Bible again tonight. Even brought out a commentary. And could hardly get through the first verse!

"Paul, an apostle of Christ Jesus by the will of God..."

I've been listening to a worship song lately that says, "I know whose I am. God, I belong to you." There is so much language in Ephesians 1 about us being divinely chosen and adopted and united in God's purpose, and this first verse is such a strong statement of identity that it immediately made me wonder how deeply we truly believe that our lives are vital to God's purpose, or how often we truly contemplate his intentions. Not that he needs us, but he chose and ordained and implemented us, individually, into his plan for the world.

I am who I am by the will of God. He wanted me to be this unique way. He has an assignment for me that reflects to the world a specific slice of his nature through the way he made me. I am proud of my Father's sovereign ownership of my life because I have seen tenderness of his heart and hands. I am who I am by the will of God. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Travel Journal: Cuenca, Day 4

     While I was trying to transfer my writing from my phone to the website, I accidentally erased half of it. So bear with me if these first few paragraphs seem terse and vague. I'm annoyed. I was going to try and keep this post short so I could go to bed at a decent hour, but let's be real... I always find something to think about and keep myself awake.       After breakfast I walked with Tiffany and the kiddos down the street to the market. We bought armfuls of produce for the week for about $13, and Kase got a brachiosaurus made out of corn husks so obviously that was the highlight of the morning. Then the whole fam rode downtown to jump in Miguel's car and head to where the church was celebrating baptisms today. We drove there Ecuadorian-style, meaning we fit 7 people in a 5 person car and I ended up on Tiffany's lap. Nobody got hurt and nobody got pulled over so I'd call it a successful trip. Quite efficient. We watched a bunch of people profess their fai

Travel Journal: Cuenca, Day 12

not in a hurry

I’ve always detested exercise. My sister loves to tell people that I threw up on my socks in the 8 th grade when forced to “run” a mile in P.E. class. By a genuine miracle of God, my metabolism keeps everything fairly trim. It has not ever been because of any physical effort on my part... I’m just being honest. Yet, for some reason, I’ve gotten up twice in the past month or so to go for a jog. I can’t call it a run, in good conscience. (It’s not that serious.) But I did that, and I’ve been swimming laps one or two days a week for… you know… a week or two. I realize this is all largely unimpressive, especially to people like my former XC-running roommate, but I call it progress! Yesterday morning was the occasion of my second jog. I was not a bucket of cheer when I woke up. I started out mad. I blasted worship music in my headphones and mulled over the litany of things I was upset about. (Tip: Those two activities don’t go together. It’s impossible to keep rehearsing your p