Skip to main content

March 3, 2020

I'm in the process of unlearning most of what I'd formerly known from being steeped in Western Christianity, and certainly all I'd internalized about "American" Christianity. I grew up knowing of "the Jesus of suburbia" and then when I was sixteen I was introduced to him. But it turned out that Jesus never lived in the suburbs.

The way of Jesus is so counter-cultural because what we think is the way of Jesus is really just some of his watered-down sayings slapped over top our American priorities. Some sugar-coated, "well that's not really what that means" Bible verses on our bumper stickers and even tattooed on our skin. Crosses and crucifixes everywhere you look, "God bless you" ringing out in public spaces after sneezes, and scores of children growing up knowing that some invisible person named Jesus loves them but having no clue that, without surrender and obedience, they're actually opposing him. And finally, surprise surprise, believing that you're a good person doesn't mean you're going to heaven.

Forgive the sarcasm, but the deeper I get in the reality of who Jesus is, the more I find myself scoffing at the impostor we've settled for. (And the scoffing is just a symptom of being deeply grieved. A defense mechanism. I'm working on it.) In just 25 years of life, I know I've barely scratched the surface of God's truth, and yet for so long I was seemingly content because I was ignorant. I was encased in an American, pseudo-Christian bubble, and it had next to no bearing on how I lived my life. 

Was I taught the Ten Commandments and the Golden Rule? Yes. Did I have some frame of reference for the standard of behavior a Christian person was supposed to exhibit? Yes. Did that shape my interior life in any dramatic way? Sadly, no. It just force-fed me more guilt than I could swallow, and petrified my outsides, making me more concerned with looking acceptable than knowing Jesus and being known by him. I didn't know how. I was only shown how to do "Christian" things, rather than how to become a true disciple following the very real example of Jesus of Nazareth with my whole life.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Travel Journal: Cuenca, Day 4

     While I was trying to transfer my writing from my phone to the website, I accidentally erased half of it. So bear with me if these first few paragraphs seem terse and vague. I'm annoyed. I was going to try and keep this post short so I could go to bed at a decent hour, but let's be real... I always find something to think about and keep myself awake.       After breakfast I walked with Tiffany and the kiddos down the street to the market. We bought armfuls of produce for the week for about $13, and Kase got a brachiosaurus made out of corn husks so obviously that was the highlight of the morning. Then the whole fam rode downtown to jump in Miguel's car and head to where the church was celebrating baptisms today. We drove there Ecuadorian-style, meaning we fit 7 people in a 5 person car and I ended up on Tiffany's lap. Nobody got hurt and nobody got pulled over so I'd call it a successful trip. Quite efficient. We watched a bunch of people profess their fai

Travel Journal: Cuenca, Day 12

not in a hurry

I’ve always detested exercise. My sister loves to tell people that I threw up on my socks in the 8 th grade when forced to “run” a mile in P.E. class. By a genuine miracle of God, my metabolism keeps everything fairly trim. It has not ever been because of any physical effort on my part... I’m just being honest. Yet, for some reason, I’ve gotten up twice in the past month or so to go for a jog. I can’t call it a run, in good conscience. (It’s not that serious.) But I did that, and I’ve been swimming laps one or two days a week for… you know… a week or two. I realize this is all largely unimpressive, especially to people like my former XC-running roommate, but I call it progress! Yesterday morning was the occasion of my second jog. I was not a bucket of cheer when I woke up. I started out mad. I blasted worship music in my headphones and mulled over the litany of things I was upset about. (Tip: Those two activities don’t go together. It’s impossible to keep rehearsing your p