Skip to main content

March 3, 2020

I'm in the process of unlearning most of what I'd formerly known from being steeped in Western Christianity, and certainly all I'd internalized about "American" Christianity. I grew up knowing of "the Jesus of suburbia" and then when I was sixteen I was introduced to him. But it turned out that Jesus never lived in the suburbs.

The way of Jesus is so counter-cultural because what we think is the way of Jesus is really just some of his watered-down sayings slapped over top our American priorities. Some sugar-coated, "well that's not really what that means" Bible verses on our bumper stickers and even tattooed on our skin. Crosses and crucifixes everywhere you look, "God bless you" ringing out in public spaces after sneezes, and scores of children growing up knowing that some invisible person named Jesus loves them but having no clue that, without surrender and obedience, they're actually opposing him. And finally, surprise surprise, believing that you're a good person doesn't mean you're going to heaven.

Forgive the sarcasm, but the deeper I get in the reality of who Jesus is, the more I find myself scoffing at the impostor we've settled for. (And the scoffing is just a symptom of being deeply grieved. A defense mechanism. I'm working on it.) In just 25 years of life, I know I've barely scratched the surface of God's truth, and yet for so long I was seemingly content because I was ignorant. I was encased in an American, pseudo-Christian bubble, and it had next to no bearing on how I lived my life. 

Was I taught the Ten Commandments and the Golden Rule? Yes. Did I have some frame of reference for the standard of behavior a Christian person was supposed to exhibit? Yes. Did that shape my interior life in any dramatic way? Sadly, no. It just force-fed me more guilt than I could swallow, and petrified my outsides, making me more concerned with looking acceptable than knowing Jesus and being known by him. I didn't know how. I was only shown how to do "Christian" things, rather than how to become a true disciple following the very real example of Jesus of Nazareth with my whole life.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Choose This Day

“Now therefore fear the  Lord  and serve him in sincerity and in faithfulness.  Put away the gods that your fathers served beyond the River and in Egypt, and serve the  Lord .  And if it is evil in your eyes to serve the  Lord ,  choose this day whom you will serve , whether  the gods your fathers served in the region beyond the River, or  the gods of the Amorites in whose land you dwell.  But as for me and my house, we will serve the  Lord .” Joshua 24:14-15 (ESV) "Choose." If we're living in the reality of the Kingdom of God, I don't think there's any way to over-spiritualize. That phrase gets on my nerves like nothing else. I think we use it as a cop out, a way to sidestep the responsibility of living like the Kingdom has invaded every nook and cranny of our existence. Every choice is an opportunity to feed my flesh or feed my spirit. Every choice is a challenge - am I going to lean on my own understanding, or listen clos...

March 4, 2020

Tonight while Nick and I were having good conversation over dinner, he asked when I last read my Bible. I said, "Not that long ago," to which he replied, "Was it before the weekend?" and I had to say, "Yes." He likened it to fasting for five days, which he rightly pointed out that I've never done in the natural, so why would I deprive myself like that in the spiritual? The conversation stirred up some old confusion and hurt regarding my difficulty with staying engaged with Scripture, but it also stirred up an old hunger to know the voice of God - to be steeped in the history of his speech, to be enraptured by description of who he is and rejoice with the authors of the Bible about his goodness. To know how he talks, to hear it inside my head as I read and become more and more familiar with the cadence of his conversation. I remembered being a freshman in college, newly exposed to the Pentecostal tradition and desperate to hear the voice o...

Travel Journal: Cuenca, Day 13

I don't know if anyone will see this... Just trying to get my thoughts out now while everything is fresh in my mind. I'll probably post this one after I edit later. Today went by so fast. The last few days (I haven't written about yet) have been a whirlwind and I've had such wonderful evenings, loving the atmosphere and the blessing of being part of the group. And yet, since last night at Turi, I haven't been able to shake the feeling that these aren't my people. Maybe it's because I'm leaving in a matter of hours, really. Or maybe it's something that God's been settling in my spirit. I talked with Gina for almost three hours over a Facebook video call, and we talked about everything under the sun. (Ecuadorian dairy products, what's going on at CC, summer plans for my internship, hanging out with the crew, going to Passion soon, and hard stuff that needs worked through and prayed through.) Every day I'm more ready to go home. It's...