Skip to main content

The Tyranny of Stands

For many, singing or playing an instrument in front of other people is a terrifying prospect. Music stands erect a barrier between the individual and the congregation, and are a constant safeguard against the potential humiliation of forgetting the next lyric or chord. Music stands are, in the simplest terms, a crutch for these persons.

For others, singing or playing an instrument in front of other people has become as commonplace as breathing in front of other people. Music stands, while generally unnecessary, still put some distance between the individual and the congregation, and assure a recovery after an accidental slip-up. Music stands are a crutch for these persons as well.

Before hot objection and defensive indignation bubble to the surface (if they haven’t already), I need to confess that I am not far removed from the tyranny of stands. In fact, this past weekend was the first worship set I can ever remember playing without chord sheets. This was after years of shying away from the risk and the admirable model our new worship pastor set for the team. It was not an entirely graceful or perfectly smooth set for me, but there was definitely a new sense of freedom in worship.

From my own experience, chord sheets and music stands allowed me to “get by” in rehearsal and on Sunday mornings. I had fallen into the trap of thinking that this lack of adequate preparation was “good enough,” and our set would go off decently well without me putting in too much effort. What I had always assumed was a superficial feature of our stage setup turned out to be an indicator of my blasé attitude toward the ministry that I am incredibly blessed to be a part of each weekend.

Congregational worship is too important to stifle with the “good enough” perspective. I am not by any means saying that individuals who rely on music stands don’t understand the weight of leading worship. I, for one, was sure I understood it. But my use of this crutch indicated my reluctance to devote myself to it and work hard, setting the "excellence" bar higher than before. I used to think that as long as I could make it to church for the required number of hours, I had done my part as a member of the worship team. I now believe that if I don’t have the necessary time during the week to practice and be memorized, then I don’t have the time to play for weekend service.

As a challenge to you, precious people, who serve and lead the local body in worship – Do not underestimate yourself! Do not limit all the tiny ways the Lord wishes to show you his faithfulness! If you are practiced and memorized, it creates room in the set to truly worship. You don’t have to think about the next lyric or chord, and can worship however your heart is moved to worship. I knew this intellectually but was too afraid to try. Again, I am a beginner. But I cannot wait to experience the ways that God desires to continue growing and deepening our team, perhaps by first laying this on our hearts collectively. 

Ultimately, the issue of music stands is never as important as the issue of musicians' hearts. However you most effectively encourage trust in the Lord and model genuine surrender to him within your team of worshippers, do that. Specifically, if you have never tried leading without leaning on a stand or chord chart, don’t be too afraid to exercise due diligence and risk a bit of humility in exchange for what God might want to do next to grow you and your team in this ministry. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Travel Journal: Cuenca, Day 4

     While I was trying to transfer my writing from my phone to the website, I accidentally erased half of it. So bear with me if these first few paragraphs seem terse and vague. I'm annoyed. I was going to try and keep this post short so I could go to bed at a decent hour, but let's be real... I always find something to think about and keep myself awake.       After breakfast I walked with Tiffany and the kiddos down the street to the market. We bought armfuls of produce for the week for about $13, and Kase got a brachiosaurus made out of corn husks so obviously that was the highlight of the morning. Then the whole fam rode downtown to jump in Miguel's car and head to where the church was celebrating baptisms today. We drove there Ecuadorian-style, meaning we fit 7 people in a 5 person car and I ended up on Tiffany's lap. Nobody got hurt and nobody got pulled over so I'd call it a successful trip. Quite efficient. We watched a bunch of people profess their fai

Travel Journal: Cuenca, Day 12

not in a hurry

I’ve always detested exercise. My sister loves to tell people that I threw up on my socks in the 8 th grade when forced to “run” a mile in P.E. class. By a genuine miracle of God, my metabolism keeps everything fairly trim. It has not ever been because of any physical effort on my part... I’m just being honest. Yet, for some reason, I’ve gotten up twice in the past month or so to go for a jog. I can’t call it a run, in good conscience. (It’s not that serious.) But I did that, and I’ve been swimming laps one or two days a week for… you know… a week or two. I realize this is all largely unimpressive, especially to people like my former XC-running roommate, but I call it progress! Yesterday morning was the occasion of my second jog. I was not a bucket of cheer when I woke up. I started out mad. I blasted worship music in my headphones and mulled over the litany of things I was upset about. (Tip: Those two activities don’t go together. It’s impossible to keep rehearsing your p